USCB's Cooperating Teachers Program
Cooperating Teachers provide valuable field experiences for future educators with opportunities to observe and practice effective teaching strategies in the classroom.
Cooperating Teachers demonstrate a commitment to:
- Mentoring and supervising teacher candidates in their professional growth
- Planning and modeling effective teaching practices
- Assisting teacher candidates in developing, planning and implementing standards-based lessons
- Encouraging open and frequent collaboration with candidates and the university supervisor
Cooperating Teacher Eligibility
- Three or more years of full-time teaching experience
- Successful completion of induction
- A valid South Carolina teacher certification in the content area, or closely related to the area the teacher candidate is working towards
- Mandatory attendance at a USCB Cooperating Teacher training orientation
- Approval from the school Principal
Cooperating Teachers can apply to host an Observation, Practicum or Internship teacher candidate
Observation CT: This is the first field experience in area classrooms. Observation CTs host up to two students for a total of 10 or 20 hours per semester. These students are assigned observational tools to complete with each visit.
Practicum CT: USCB teacher candidates have two Practicum experiences (one in the fall for math/science; one in the spring for ELA/social studies). Cooperating Teachers host Practicum students twice a week for the full school day. Practicum students work closely with the CT to develop content lesson plans and are expected to assist in classroom instruction and teach at least four lessons per semester.
Internship CT: The Cooperating Teacher mentors a teacher candidate every day for a full semester. The teacher candidate is expected to plan and teach six formally observed lessons and gradually work up to a minimum of four weeks of full-time teaching.
Benefits for Cooperating Teachers
- A small stipend from USCB (varies per clinical experience)
- Practicum and Internship CTs receive recertification hours
- Reduced tuition at USCB or another USC campus (Aiken, Upstate)
- Partnership and ongoing professional development opportunities with USCB
For more information, please contact CT@uscb.edu.