Erin McCoy, PhD
Associate Professor of English & Interdisciplinary Studies
My name is Erin McCoy, and I am an Associate Professor of English and Interdisciplinary Studies and Faculty Advisor for USCB's Student Veterans of America Chapter, Sand Shark Veterans.
Each semester at USCB allows me to explore what it is to be a true "Sand Shark"; traits like curiosity, generosity, creativity, and teamwork continue to be the dominant characteristics of USCB students, faculty and staff, aka "Sand Sharks."
My primary research area is the Viet Nam War, with an emphasis on using music lyrics as a lens for looking at the War’s cultural historiography. My book, Tour of War: A Cultural Historiography of the Viet Nam War (2022, McFarland) combines on-site research in Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Australia, and the United States with a cultural study of the Viet Nam War era via popular music. As a member of the South Carolina Humanities Council Speaker's Bureau, I give community lectures about the Viet Nam War throughout South Carolina.
I teach in both the Interdisciplinary Studies (IDST) and English Degree Programs and advise for IDST. I often cross-list IDST and English classes related to the Viet Nam war, such as “Stories of War,” "Music and Social Protest," and “Cultural Historiography of the Viet Nam War.” I also lecture on topics such as Hip-Hop, the Holocaust, and Community-Engaged Projects & Leadership. Additionally, I teach World Literature and First Year English writing courses.
PhD in Humanities. University of Louisville 2013
Graduate Certificate in Latin American & Latino Studies. University of Louisville 2011
MA in English. Clemson University 2007
BA in English. Wingate University 2004
- ENGL B101 - Composition & Rhetoric
- ENGL B102 - Composition & Literature
- ENGL B270 - World Literatures
- IDST B250 - Interdisciplinary Studies Internship
- IDST B297 - Interdisciplinary Methods
- IDST B320 - Yoga Principles & Practice
- IDST B325 - Sports & the Humanities
- IDST B351 - Beyond the Classroom I
- IDST B397 - Readings in Philosophy
- IDST B439 - Special Topics
- PEDU B136 - Yoga I
- Cultural History of the Viet Nam War
- Rhetoric of Music Lyrics
- Global War Studies & Narratives
- Interdisciplinary Pedagogy and Courses