Beaufort College Honors
The mission of the University of South Carolina Beaufort College Honors program is to challenge and stimulate talented, highly motivated students to make the most of enriching educational opportunities, and to become actively involved in their own education. The program seeks to encourage curiosity and critical thinking by offering exciting academic and cultural activities for students committed to excellence. Honors program students will be challenged to reach their highest potential as scholars, individuals, and leaders.
For Incoming Freshmen
The University of South Carolina Beaufort invites qualifying incoming freshmen to apply to the Beaufort College Honors (BCH) program. As a BCH student, you will live and learn at USCB’s historic, riverfront campus in downtown Beaufort and enjoy enhanced instruction and mentoring from renowned faculty.
- Admission is open to freshman students of all majors.
- Program-specific cohorts in Biology and Nursing.
- Nursing Beaufort College Honors students enter directly into the Nursing Program and follow this Program of Study.
- BCH students majoring in History, Marine Biology and Visual Art and Design complete their program entirely on the Beaufort campus. BCH students in Biology and Nursing live in Beaufort Campus Housing for 2 years, and those in other majors live in Beaufort Campus Housing for one year then transition to the Bluffton campus to complete the program.
How to Apply for Beaufort College Honors
- Indicate your interest in Beaufort College Honors on your USCB application. Students must first be admitted to USCB in order to be considered for BCH.
Application Deadline for BCH is December 1
Students who do not meet this deadline may still be considered for admission after December 1, on a space-available basis
Current USCB students
Current USCB students and transfer students can join the BCH.
- South Carolina Residents: The Beaufort College Honors Scholarship awards $2,000 per year for up to 4 years to students admitted to the BCH Program. Students are required to live in Beaufort on-campus housing (for 1-4 years, depending on major - Marine Biology, History and Visual Art and Design live on the Beaufort campus for 4 years; Biology and Nursing live on the Beaufort Campus Housing for 2 years; those in other majors live on the Beaufort campus for 1 year)**. Students are required to live in Bluffton on-campus housing when they opt to transition to the Bluffton campus.
- Out-of-State Students: The BCH Residential Scholarship awards students the in-state tuition rate and an
additional $500 per year for up to 4 years. Students are required to live in Beaufort
on-campus housing (for 1-4 years, depending on major - Marine Biology, History and
Visual Art and Design live on the Beaufort Campus Housing for 4 years; Biology and
Nursing live on the Beaufort campus for 2 years; and those in other majors live on
the Beaufort campus for 1 year)**. Students are required to live in Bluffton on-campus
housing when they opt to transition to the Bluffton campus.
Students that reside in the following GA counties – Bryan, Chatham and Effingham – are not eligible. Students that reside in these counties receive the state reciprocity agreement.
- 1795 Scholarship: This external scholarship awards eligible students $1,000 per semester to be applied toward their housing on USCB’s Beaufort campus. For more information and to apply, please visit 1795scholarship.com.
*Scholarships are based on availability of funds and have additional requirements to maintain eligibility:
• Minimum 3.0 GPA to remain in BCH and keep scholarship(s)
• Students may switch cohorts (majors) as long as they maintain the minimum 3.0 GPA
• Nursing students must maintain a science-specific 2.75 GPA to remain in the Nursing cohort.
**Based on credits accepted by USCB
BCH students live on USCB's Beaufort campus in new "apartment style" campus housing. For more information about USCB's Beaufort housing, please see Housing at USCB.
Visit the Beaufort Campus
Beaufort Campus Address:
801 Carteret Street
Beaufort, South Carolina 29902
Incoming first year students interested in the Honors Program should contact:
Phone/Text (843) 208-8055
Fax (843) 208-8290
Continuing USCB Students
Current USCB students wishing to join the Honors Program should contact:
Juanita Babet Villena-Alvarez, PhD
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Coordinator, Beaufort College Honors
Professor of French, Spanish and Global Studies
One University Boulevard
Bluffton, SC 29909
Grayson House Room 100